Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Well, apparently I am a blog slacker. I think when things are going great, I am much more motivated to write and when things aren't as great...I am unsure about what to say or what attitude to have. Regardless, it has been too long and you are due for a much-needed update.

We are still "participating" in the nutritional typing diet, but definitely not 100% the way it was intended to be followed. The main reason why (which I may have addressed last time) is the degree of preparation involved. It requires pairing freshly cooked protein with lightly steamed or raw veggies at every meal. That can be really tricky and also hard to have variety (which is an absolute necessity for me) with as much preparation as it takes. We do try to eat mostly whole foods and at least pairing appropriate protien and veggies at breakfast and for most dinners. I had no idea it would be this hard when we first decided to try it! Anyway...I can't say that we are getting the true effects of how the diet was intended unfortunately, but we've definitely learned some things and applied them to our diet.

On a brighter note, going organic is going well! We are eating all organic dairy. Our meat is all grass-fed, hormone free (sometimes organic) and our fish is wild (not farm raised). We are probably eating 50% organic for our "snack" food and 30% of our fruits and veggies are organic. March has kinda been a random month as far as what foods we've added to the organic list (if you can't tell already, March has been a CRAZY month in our house), but for April we are adding all of the "dirty dozen" foods to the list. I will write those up for you guys as well as the rationale behind why going with those foods is a good idea if you're going to just eat some organic foods.

We feel really healthy-that is for sure. No one in our household has been sick-hallelujah! I have had allergies, but not a whole lot can be done to prevent that. Carter had an ear infection at Christmas, but other than that, no illness...and Jude has also been healthy. With all the germs that Jude and I must bring in from working in the schools, it is truly amazing that we have managed to avoid all the sickness. I feel that our healthy diet has to be a factor.

So many more things that I could write about that I've been thinking lately in regard to eating healthy and living healthy...but I don't want to overdo it in one post :) I will try and pick back up the blog pace and keep you all engaged with what's going on in our life and the things we've learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment