Tuesday, February 15, 2011

New Challenges

It is amazing where the time goes between posts. Every day I have the intention of writing and then life gets in the way! Hopefully with the new challenges I've started, I'll have more motivation to get online and blog about our adventures :)

As I mentioned in my last post, Jude and I planned to start our Nutritional Typing diet on Valentine's Day...and we held true to our commitment! Don't worry though, we ate plenty of delicious food over the weekend during our "time away" while my sister kept Carter for about 24 hrs. We're back in the saddle now. Nutritional Typing is a concept coined by Dr. Mercola, whom Jude and I have come to respect a lot. The basic premise behind Nutritional Typing is eating food combinations that work best for your body. It helps you select foods that help you stay full and maintain good blood sugar levels throughout the day. Eating this way has excellent effects on the way you feel, the way you look and your overall health. Jude and I decided to give it a shot for the recommended 60 days to see how we like it. The main commitment you have to make is going gluten-free the entire time. You have 10% flexibility a day to eat things that aren't on the "list" but you still can't eat things that contain gluten. This may be one of the harder things to do as it is something I've never eliminated before for longer than a week (raw cleanse in January!). One of the best things about the "diet" is that it focuses on raw, organic, whole-food eating. I know to many of you, I lost you at raw, but when I tell you what a daily menu is like, you may change your mind. Here's an example of what we ate yesterday:

Breakfast:
-2 organic chicken sausage links with 2 organic soft-boiled eggs over sliced tomatoes & baby spinach, topped with fresh basil and olive oil. (We could have had 1/2 cup of oatmeal with cinnamon and vanilla, but we were stuffed).

Lunch:
-Salad with organic deli meat (turkey & ham), mushrooms, tomato, cucumber and hard boiled egg
-Handful of blueberries

Snack:
-Vitamix shake (mix of fruits and veggies)

Dinner:
-Baked salmon with Italian seasoning and lemon wheels
-1/2 cup of cottage cheese with fresh chives
-Steamed asparagus and red pepper with fresh avocado
(We could have had a sweet potato also, but we were full enough)

It really was a tasty day. It takes preparation, for sure, but we are learning that preparing fresh food is the big difference between eating for health and eating for convenience. I dare say, it's worth the extra time.

If you go on Dr. Mercola's website, you can take the Nutritional Typing test and find out what type you are and then you'll be sent info on your type, foods you can eat, meal ideas as well as a link to huge cookbook of tons of recipes. Best of all, it's completely free! Here's the link in case you're interested:

http://www.mercola.com/

I'll write tomorrow about our exercise challenge and progress...time has slipped away and I still need to get food ready for tomorrow!

Have a wonderful night :) Until tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment